Why pay for expensive face masks when you can use basic ingredients found around the house to make your own simple, hydrating masks and scrubs? Here are four reasons why you should use facial masks:
1. Detoxifying effect: Facial masks clean pore-clogging impurities from deep within the skin. While the clays dry, they act as a suction to pull out all that undesirable stuff from the deeper layers of skin.
2. Tone muscles effect: While drying, facial masks work the face muscles, which in turn tones them and this results in a taut and well toned appearance to your face
3. Nourishment effect: Most good quality masks are based on clays, which are very rich in the minerals that are abundant on Earth and thus can improve the quality and health of skin.
4. Stimulate cell renewal effect: Facial masks based on clays can clean up the upper layers of dead skin by encouraging them to be naturally shed. U use gentle circular strokes to wash off your facial mask. So in this way you can use it like you would a lotion to massage your skin.
SEE MORE: Best winter skin care tips
You need to take these steps before applying the mask. Firstly you should clean your face with a mild and sulfate-free cleanser prior to applying a facial mask. This ensures that your face is free of dirt, grime or makeup so the facial mask can penetrate better into the skin upon application. When applying the mask, take a generous layer of the facial mask all over your face including the neck area. Be sure to apply the mask in upward strokes so that your skin does not get pulled downward as the mask dries. Also remember that facial masks can be used on other parts of your body like arms and legs to provide deep cleansing and toning. Relax while the mask dries, pamper yourself. Relaxation is good for you!
Dermatologists advise to use facial masks 2-3 times a week for maximum results. It is preferable to use a facial mask just before bedtime. When you sleep, your skin rests and rejuvenates and the burst of nourishment from using a facial mask can definitely help this process.
Banana – Honey mask for sensitive skin
For a natural face lifting mask you are going to need:
– 1/2 ripe banana
– 1/4 cup of yogurt
– 1 tea spoon of honey
– a warm and moist towel or cloth
Mash the banana using the back of a spoon and mix it well with the yogurt and honey. Spread the mask over your face, cover it with the warm moist towel, and then sit back and relax for 15 minutes.
During this time, the honey will moisturize your skin, the lactic acid in the yogurt will exfoliate it, and the steam and moist from the warm towel will help the mask sink in. Once you are done, rinse with warm water.
Honey and Avocado Mask for Dry Skin
Avocado and honey face mask can a great skin care mask for dry, lifeless and dull skin, and it is easy to make, too. Mix together:
– 2 tablespoons of honey with equal amounts of avocado
– whip in one egg yolk with your hands
Apply the face mask evenly on the face and neck and leave it for about half an hour before rinsing, to get moisturized and soft looking skin.
Honey, Almond and Yogurt Mask for tired skin
Mix together in a bowl:
– 6 oz. of yogurt
– ¼ oz of powdered almond
– 2 teaspoons of wheatgerm oil
– 2 teaspoons of honey to get a smooth mixture
Apply it onto your face and leave it for 20 minutes before washing it off with gently warm water.
Honey and apple mask for normal skin
This face mask made of apple and honey can be used for those of you who are blessed with normal skin. This mask gives your skin a refreshed and cared-for look.
Skin an apple and cut it into pieces.
Blend it in a food processor with 2 tablespoons of honey.
Apply the mixture on your face in a circular motion and leave it for 30 minutes before rinsing.
Honey, oatmeal, and Papaya Mask for oily Skin
This great skin mask helps to clear out blemishes and keep your skin glowing and soft. Mix together in a blender:
– 1/3 cups of cocoa and ripe papaya.
– 3 teaspoons of heavy cream
– 3 teaspoons of oatmeal
– 1/4 cup of honey
Wash your face, pat it dry and apply the mixture evenly on the face and neck, avoiding the area around the eyes. Leave it on for at least ten minutes and wash it off with warm water.
Images: 123rf.com; apsaraskincare; greenparenthood