Best known for its classic shape and timeless elegance, the perfect trench coat is woman`s best friend when it comes to transitional dressing.
It was made to keep the rain out but evolved into a timeless fashion item. Through history it’s been a favorite among movie stars like Audrey Hepburn and Sophia Loren, and also today among modern day fashion icons like Kate Moss, Rihanna, Blake Lively and Kim Kardashian.
This outerwear piece will simply blend in with every piece of your wardrobe and keep in mind that the classic trench coat never goes out of style. In case you have missed it, see our Style Guide: How to wear a trench coat?
So how to work a trench coat into your wardrobe this fall? Opened, buttoned up, hanging on the shoulders or tied at the waist. Here are 6 easy ways to style and wear trench coat this fall…
1. Need a fresh way to wear trench to an office? Take cues from the classic movie stars like Audrey Hepburn, Sophia Loren or Meryl Streep. Nothing exudes femininity ore than a dress. Forget the classic pants and choose a more colorful dress. For work day choose pencil dress and complete the look with pointed toe shoes which will elongate your legs.
2. The classic pencil skirt kind of makes the center of “office wear” dressing but you can add a modern twist to it by wearing leather pencil skirt and combining it with the trench coat. In case you have missed it, see our Style Guide: How to wear pencil skirt? Take note that the pencil skirt will accentuate your waistline while the trench coat will create chic layering option.
3. A pair of leather pants will always give your outfit a modern and edgy vibe. In case you have missed it, see our Style Guide: How to style and wear leather pants? For off-duty and casual daytime looks combine your leather pants with trench coat. The gap between rock leather and classic trench blends into modern preppy look.
4. When wearing mini skirts there`s always that question, how to avoid showing too much skin or flashing your underwear? You can balance out the sultry vibe of mini skirt with your favorite trench coat. This ensemble can work both for day to night occasions – wear ballerina flats for day and go for high heels for night out.
5. As another summer season has passed, some of us are still not ready to put away our favorite pair of denim shorts. Pairing classic trench coat with cutoffs or denim shorts reminds us of easy off-duty model look as seen among fashion models on the streets of New York.
6. When it comes to dressing up, there`s nothing easier than throwing on your favorite jeans. Flared, ripped, skinny or boyfriend jeans, all of them can go perfectly with a trench coat for contemporary and polished look. You can also play with volume, a three-quarter-length trench coat can enhance the fluidity of the pants silhouette.